2023 Charlotte GoodLit Poetry Fellowship
We are proud to announce a year-long fellowship to support and expand the career of an emerging poet in the Charlotte, NC area. Applications will be accepted from December 1- 15, 2022. The winning Fellow, announced in January 2023, will be selected by representatives of Charlotte Lit, Goodyear Arts, West Trade Review, and the Charlotte Poet Laureate.
Who Should Apply?
- An emerging poet who is at least eighteen and is a full-time resident of the Charlotte area
- A poet who has not published a full-length collection of poetry.
- A poet whose poetic career could be significantly impacted by the benefits of this fellowship and who otherwise might not have access to these benefits
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but previously accepted or work published in West Trade Review is ineligible.
- A poet who has much to offer and much to learn and is eager to add to the legacy of Charlotte's literary landscape.
What is Included in the Fellowship?
- One-year membership to Charlotte Lit, including access to the organization's 2023 catalog of writing classes.
- One month of free, private, and 24/7 studio usage at Goodyear Arts.
- Publishing 101 discussion with the editor of West Trade Review.
- Feedback on five poems from West Trade Review.
- Participation as a poetry submissions reader for West Trade Review (starting in April or August).
- Access to six-week workshop with Charlotte's Poet Laureate.
- Feedback on chapbook-length manuscript of poems by Poet Laureate.
- Feedback on chapbook-length manuscript with a writers from the Goodyear Arts Collective.
- Opportunity to develop and facilitate a two-hour craft workshop with Charlotte Lit, including workshop development coaching.
- Chapbook publication by Charlotte Lit Press
- Public reading event at Goodyear Arts
What is the Purpose of the Fellowship?
- The purpose of the GoodLit Poetry Fellowship is to provide an emerging poet with a year full of opportunities that broaden their knowledge of craft, expand their platform within the city, further their experience with workshop facilitation, assist them in navigating the world of publishing, and give them a platform to enrich Charlotte's literary landscape.
What Does Emerging Poet Mean?
- For the purpose of this fellowship, an applicant should be a poet who has not yet published a full-length collection of poetry and who sees themselves as emerging vs. established. The artist may or may not have a list of journal and/or chapbook publications and performance credentials. They may be just starting out or could be well along in their poetic journey. Of key importance are that the poet has a passion for writing, a demonstrable skill set, and the potential to benefit from a boost to get to the next level of their poetic career.
What Are the Application Requirements?
-Please upload 5 original poems (no more than 10 pages total)
-Poems can be previously published or unpublished. We are looking for a good representation of your work. Please do not include
journal acknowledgements for any published poems.
-Tell us a little about why you write, who your influences are, and what you value in poems.
-Please provide a statement describing where you are currently in your poetic journey, what goals you have for your poetry career, the kind of impact this
fellowship could have for you, and how you'd like to impact the literary landscape in Charlotte.
Applications that do not meet guidelines or eligibility requirements will not be considered.
All entries must be submitted by 11:59pm EST on December 15, 2022.
POET LAUREATE OF CHARLOTTE